Monday, September 26, 2011

My thoughts on Meet the New Boss

(Warning: my random, scattered, informal, and casual thoughts on Meet the New Boss)



CW/Supernatural Promo season 7




All summer long I worried about the season seven premiere. Not too fond of season six, I dreaded the premiere of season seven. I think I loved a handful of episodes in the previous season: "Weekend At Bobby's", "Frontierland", "Appointment in Samarra", "Let It Bleed", "The Man Who Knew Too Much"  and "The Man Who Would Be King".

I loved this episode more than Exile on Main Street. I tip my hat off to Jerry Wanek for rebuilding the set (the lab) from the previous season. I don't know what's involved with recreating a scene, but the set looked good, creepy, and dirty; with the distinct feeling that awful experiments were conducted with screaming victims.

I thought Phil Sgriccia filmed Dean's rebuilding of the Impala with interesting angles, showing off Dean's frustrations and despair through the use of camera angles and Dean's body language.

I loved Jim Beaver's work as Bobby. I said earlier that Bobby, the only normal person in this episode, kept the episode focused. Crusty and endearing as always, Bobby served as a foil for both Dean as well as Sam.

I also loved Jared Padalecki's portrayal of Sam, his acting was stable and strong. His scenes with Mark Pellegrino were so deliciously good. Sure Mark is like a ray of light that blinds me temporarily that I only see Lucifer, but Mr. Padalecki was good too. I found Sam's flashbacks as well as his hallucinations well acted.




CW/Supernatural Promo season 6



In jest, I'm going to say that I think the writers read my review of "Swan Song" where I said that Mark Pellegrino left Lucifer's body too soon.

The story gets interesting. We know about Sam's PSTD and his hallucinations. For the first time in years, Sam's story revealed itself quickly, out in the open, and not shrouded in mystery. I think the show works better that way. I also think Mr. Padalecki works better that way too.

Misha Collins deserves something for his portrayal of three distinct characters. He definitely deserves more than the few episodes he'll appear in this season. I skim over the boards in this fandom and sometimes I agree or disagree with what I hear. First of all, I thought that season six belonged to Misha Collins. He grew into not just a good actor, but a craftsman. Before I hear any shouts of anger, Jensen Ackles hit that mark a LONG time ago. I also thought that "Play With Fire" referred to Castiel's vision of pursuing his rise to god.



CW/Supernatural "The Man Who Would Be King"



Did anyone else think that Misha was extremely sexy in the final scene of  "Meet the New Boss"? Maybe it was just me.

As for Leviathan, I'm curious. The writers have always done what they wanted with mythological creatures. They name it and then do as they please. Remember Arache from Crete? Eh? But in the writers' defense, Campbell and SoulLessSam were supposed to look like morons in "Unforgiven". The wrong information worked.

This is what I need to address. In my blog, I repeatedly asked, "What's Wrong With Dean?".  I truly believe the writers are setting the stage for a change in Dean Winchester. Dean's emotions were unavailable for the most part in this episode, but I do not think he was brutally cruel. Dean was a man on a mission to save the world, even if it lead to the destruction of a good friend. Castiel and Dean have been through hell and back together, I don't think Dean was taking this lightly. Perhaps that was why Dean was holding back his emotions, he was preparing himself for more bloodshed on his hands. Dean buries himself with guilt and I do think Dean has a list of deaths in his head, it's a list of guilt. I believe that Castiel had finally made it onto that list.

I'm not surprised. Dean has been changing. In "Appointment in Samarra" Dean and SoulLessSam exchanged looks after Dean arrived home from being Death. Dean had made his decision right then and there. Sam wasn't in that room. SoullessSam was merely a body walking around with Sam's likeness. Dean was ready to eliminate the equation, Dean was ready to move on. That might not be a popular opinion. In "Let It Bleed" we observed Dean in his basest  form: drinking, over medicating, killing demons, killing the host, and hitting a child. Dean hasn't been the same for a long time now. I must say that Dean hitting Ben was an act of desperation. Surrounded by demons and in enemy territory, Dean acted fast and efficiently. Unfortunately, I think this new outlook of efficiency is reminiscent of John Winchester. Is Dean becoming more like John Winchester?

I must admit that I like the new turn in Dean Winchester's character. As a fandom, I think Supernatural fans have scrutinized Dean's dropped story lines: PSTD, Famine's thoughts on Dean, vampire, fairy, intrepid detective, Michael's vessel, etc...

I also must admit that I wouldn't be surprised if the writers went in this direction of Dean becoming more like John. The writers would be in essence, addressing one of the dropped story lines shown in "My Bloody Valentine".

Jensen Ackles seems fully aware of the possibilities ahead. I can see the actor being amazingly deliberate with his facial expressions and his physicality. Oh, and heavens no, I'm not saying that I can see Jensen acting. Jensen Ackles' scenes were fluid and intense. I'm just saying that I can see a shift in Dean's point of view.

Mr. Ackles has always acted in character and I think his use of foreshadow is on target. I'm intrigued. Jensen Ackles has intrigued me since the Pilot, but something is amiss here. Something is brewing and Mr. Ackles is expertly bringing this story line to the surface with just the right amount of angst. When I said that Jensen Ackles hit that mark a LONG time ago, I meant that Jensen Ackles moved from being a good actor to a craftsman a long time ago. It's true and it's obvious in this episode. It adds to the excitement of Dean's character. Some fans might not like the new Dean, but I can't help but admire what Jensen Ackles is doing and I can't help but be interested in what the writers are doing.

We don't know what the writers are up to and I'm willing to see "Meet the New Boss" as an introductory chapter.

I'm happy with the start of season seven. It has a lot more potential than season six. Everyone seems very happy, focused, and energized. I'm looking forward to this Friday.





Louisa Hinmon







        Contact: celebrityhollywoodconnection@gmail.com







This article is a reflection of the opinions of the author. The author and Hollywood Celebrity Connection are in no way affiliated with the CW, Supernatural, or it's creator Eric Kripke. All photos are property of the CW network.All photos are property of the CW network.This is a fan blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment